Are you wondering how to start a web design business with no experience? Is it even possible in the first place?
Web design is made up of different disciplines and skills in website maintenance and production. It includes various areas including web graphic design; authoring including proprietary software and standardized; interface design; search engine optimization; and user experience design.
With all of these things involved, would it be possible to start your very own website design business if you don’t have any experience yet?
How to start a web design business from home
If you want to start your own web design business from the comforts of your home, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Understand the industry first.
- Conduct feasibility studies and market research.
- Identify the specific niche you will focus on.
- Be familiar with the major competitors in the field.
- Decide if you will start from scratch or buy a franchise.
- Know the potential challenges and threats you will face.
- Select the most appropriate legal entity.
- Pick a catchy business name.
- Talk to an agent to find the right insurance policy for you.
- Use patents, copyrights, and trademark for protecting your intellectual property.
- Get the essential professional certification.
- Prepare the necessary legal documents required for business operation.
- Write your business plan.
- Conduct a cost analysis for your home-based web design business.
- Increase the required startup capital.
- Draft a marketing plan containing strategies and ideas.
- Brainstorm potential ways of retaining clients and customers.
- Come up with strategies to increase brand awareness and identity.
Starting a web design business with wix
Wix is one of the most popular platforms for DIY web design. This is known to be simpler compared to WordPress but is more advanced compared to Weebly, another web design platform.
More than 100 million people from 190 different countries are using Wix. It is a hassle-free, easy, and affordable way to create and design websites in just a matter of minutes.
Back in the days, only expert coders can build websites as well as those people who have the money to pay whizkid coders who can do the job for them.
Good thing that with the help of Wix, everyone now has a chance to create their own websites or even start their very own web design business. No matter what your skill level might be, the powerful template editor of Wix can give you a complete creative control with no need for you to know even a single word of code.
Although Wix is not the only drag and drop site builder that you can find in the market right now, it is considered as the best there is in the world. If you take time to go through websites that were made using Wix, you will notice how professional and beautiful they are.
Starting a web design business with no portfolio
If you want to start your own web design business but you don’t have a portfolio yet, here are the tips you can follow so that you don’t have to run around in endless circles like other web designers when they are just getting started:
- Lay the proper foundation for your web design business.
It can be very overwhelming to start your own business so before you dive into it, make sure that you figure out some of the main elements that is going to work as a solid foundation to ensure your success. These include business structure, business credit card, business bank account, accounting software, invoicing software, and contract and proposal software or templates.
- Begin by building websites for yourself first.
Before you dare build websites for other people, you have to build some experiences first in building websites. You will only learn something if you take action and you can only do it by building sites on niche subjects you like.
- Proceed to building websites for your family and friends.
If any of your family members or friends has a business, ask them if they would be interested to use your services for building a new website or redesigning their existing one.
- Have your family and friends refer them to their own network that might need the services you offer.
If no one in your circle needs a business website, don’t hesitate to ask them if they know someone you don’t know who might need one. Bring up the topic casually with your family or friends. For all you know, you might get lucky if you do so!
- Befriend the owners of local businesses in your area.
Most people only work with those they actually like so you might want to try building friendly relationships with the local business owners. Offer to give them a discount for building site to see what they have to say.
For all you know, most of the business owners might be more than happy to work with freelancers. Since you already have a friendly relationship with you, you can start a web design business even if you don’t have a portfolio.
How to start a web design business using wordPress
WordPress is no doubt the world’s most popular platform for website design and this doesn’t even come as a surprise.
After all, WordPress is extremely customizable and versatile. You can make this platform become anything you need and want it to be. Most blogs online are also running on WordPress.
However, you can pretty much expect an increased complexity with such an awesome versatility. The learning curve is rather steep and you might find it a bit challenging if you happen to be a total beginner in the world of web design.
If you want to start a web design business using WordPress, here are the steps you need to follow:
- Come up with an effective business plan that defines exactly what you will be doing.
- Assess your current finances to know how much you can afford.
- Define your own brand
- Build the official website for your business.
- Develop the process on how you will carry out the business.
- Create your contact list.
- Gather the tools you will need for you business.
- Start looking for potential clients.
How to start a web design business with no experience
As far as how to start a web design business with no experience is concerned, take note that “no experience” is the keyword and not “web design business.”
Can you start a website design successfully without any experience at all?
The answer is a big yes, it is indeed doable. As long as you have the right framework and strategy in place, you will be able to achieve your much coveted success in no time!